Monday, February 8, 2010

Day 92 (2/4/10): The Walking Dead

I’ve been told that Vodka makes me mean. I’ve also been told I’m a very mean sober. It was probably a bad idea to start drinking White Russians with a coworker, but I’m an awkward drink order at times, I occasionally just glob on to whatever the person I’m with is drinking. I’ve never been particularly picky over drinks. I felt the phone vibrate, thinking it was Kara, but it was my ex, and I just wanted to ignore it. Kara came and joined us minutes later and insisted I switch to scotch, but I refused. Never one to mince words, Kara puts orders a scotch and a White Russian.

Then she starts in about Taylor, having read about it, and not spoken to me since it happened. I just mentioned how I was kind of seeing Nicole, and I wasn’t exactly proud of the whole Taylor thing.  She then decided to point out how boring I (and by extension the reading material) has been aside from her. I told her that maybe I was a lapsed sinner. She nudged my drink closer and gave a devilish grin.  I took a gulp.  She asked if I would call Taylor if I got drunk enough, this is the precise moment I looked down at my phone and saw a text from  yet another girl, drunk already, and asking me to come over.  I gave her a flimsy excuse, and told her that I wasn’t much feeling like going out.  All the while Kara watching and yelling at me over it.  This is while the text girl went from flirty to belligerent. She started coaxing harder, and then calling me an asshole and a tool. I finished my White Russian, and started to get up and out of the bar without a word.

She came walking after me, asking if I was gonna say bye or anything. I just muttered some half-assed shallow apology. I then get yet another drunk text from another girl from the last 90 days. She mentions how she asked around about me, and how I’m allegedly a catch, and I just lose my shit. I just couldn’t take it anymore, so I told her it was messed up that she was asking around about me, and how I couldn’t believe that she would even do it. I proceed to go back to the bar, and re-sit myself down next to Kara, and order a scotch and soda.

We don’t say a word for five minutes.  She kept almost saying something, and then just saw the look on my face. She knew I wanted pristine silence, and to just sit and drink together. Personally, it wouldn’t even have mattered if she was there at that moment, but it wasn’t entirely awful that she was.  She smacked me upside the head out of nowhere, and just said, “Snap out of it.” I could have kissed or killed her in that moment, but I just repeated my disappearing act.

[Via http://100girls100days.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment